A life in aviation
Warrant Officer Kerry Williams enlisted in the Royal New Zealand Air Force in January 1988 as an Aircraft Technician. Williams became RNZAF Warrant Officer of the Air Force in January 2022.
During his long career, Williams served at many bases, like Woodbourne, Wigram, Auckland, and NZDF Headquarters and:
- completed tours with Pilot Training Squadron and No 1 Repair Depot
- carried out aircraft maintenance duties for the C-130H Hercules and Boeing 757 aircraft at No 40 Squadron
- delivered trade training as an instructor at the Aircraft Trade Training School
He has held leadership positions at:
- the Directorate of Continued Airworthiness Management
- No 5 Squadron
- Airborne Surveillance and Response Force, with the P-3K2 Orion aircraft.
Always ready for deployment
Williams deployed twice to Operation TEAL in the United Arab Emirates and to many other exercises including:
- Maple Flag in Canada
- JRTC and AATTC in the USA with the C-130
- Operation TAKAPU as the P-3K2 Engineering Team Leader supporting the Combined Task Force in the Middle East.
Passionate about equality
Before becoming WOAF, Williams was the Military Lead for NZDF’s Operation RESPECT. This is an NZDF-wide programme that aims to end sexual harassment and improve culture.
In this role, Williams worked with Op Respect champions to help change inappropriate behaviour within the NZDF.