You can use this site without disclosing any personal information to the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF).
This statement applies to the website nzdf.mil.nz, and to any content accessed by the URLs navy.mil.nz, army.mil.nz, airforce.mil.nz, schooltoseas.mil.nz, and schooltoskies.mil.nz. The New Zealand Defence Force operates a range of other websites, you should refer to the privacy statement on each of those websites for specific guidance on how they comply with the Privacy Act 2020.
The NZDF systems to which this website connects and related equipment may be subject to monitoring (including by third parties) in order to support the utility and security of this site.
This website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google Inc to help us make decisions about the operation of the website and to improve the content and functionality we provide through the website. You can opt out of this by disabling first-party cookies in your web browser.
If you do not disable cookies, you consent to the processing of data about your use of the website by Google, in the manner and for the purposes set out below.
The information generated about your use of the website is transmitted to, and stored by Google on servers in the United States. This consists of statistical information about your use of the website, including:
- your service address (IP address)
- your location in terms of country
- the date, time and duration of your visit to the site
- the pages you accessed and the documents you downloaded
- the type of browser you used
- the search terms you used
- your operating system
- other incidental matters such as screen resolution and the language setting of your browser.
Google uses this information to evaluate how you use this website, compiling reports for us on website activity, and providing other reporting and performance improvement services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties but only where required to do so by law, or where these third parties process the information on Google’s behalf.
Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google, and Google Analytics’ terms and conditions prohibit the NZDF from accessing your IP address details.
The NZDF will not collect any personal information from you unless you provide express consent (for example by submitting a contact form). If the NZDF collects any personal information it will be done in accordance with the Privacy Act 2020 and you will be informed of the purpose for which your personal information is being collected and how to exercise your right of access to that information.
Under the Privacy Act 2020 you have the right to access and to request correction of any of your personal information provided to the NZDF.
School to Seas and School to Skies Collection Forms
The NZDF collects information in these forms for the purposes of registration on the School to Seas and School to Skies programmes. Information collected is forwarded onto the relevant programme teams in the NZDF for course candidate management and selection, course planning and research and evaluation of the course. Under the Privacy Act 2020 you have the right to access and to request correction of any of your personal information provided to the NZDF in relation to the School to Seas and School to Skies programmes.
Sharing your information
The NZDF does not share any personal information provided by you to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- one of the reasons the NZDF was provided the personal information was to give it to a third party;
- you have given authority to share the information with a third party;
- it is required or authorised by the Privacy Act 2020 or by any other law, including, but not limited to, the following reasons:
- to avoid prejudice to the maintenance of the law including prejudice to the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution and punishment of offences
- for enforcement of a law that imposes a pecuniary penalty;
- for the protection of public revenue;
- for the conduct of proceedings before any court or tribunal;
- if it is reasonably believed that the use of the information will prevent or lessen a serious threat to public health or safety or to somebody's life or health; or
- the information will be used in a way that will not identify you, or it is to be used for statistical or research purposes and will not be published in a way that will identify you.
How to access any personal information we hold about you
To view any personal information held by us, or if you have any concerns about personal information that we hold and wish to request its correction, you can:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- write to:
The Privacy Officer
New Zealand Defence Force
Private Bag 39997