Air Vice-Marshal Tony Davies
Vice Chief of Defence Force
The Vice Chief of Defence Force (VCDF) is a senior appointment in the NZDF, responsible for integration between the senior military and civil personnel with responsibilities for command and governance.
Air Vice-Marshal Tony Davies joined the RNZAF in 1984 as a trainee pilot. He then entered the Air Transport role flying Andover, Hercules, and Boeing aircraft. On 10 September 2018, he became Vice Chief of Defence Force .
A wide range of operational experience
Davies became a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit for his role in the 1998 mid-winter Antarctic rescue mission. He helped carry out a risky mission to rescue eleven Americans from McMurdo Station.
During his career, he's held a range of command and staff appointments including:
- Commanding Officer No 40 Squadron
- Officer Commanding 485 Wing
- Assistant Chief of Air Force Capability
- Assistant Chief Strategic Commitments and Intelligence
- Air Component Commander at Headquarters Joint Forces New Zealand
- Chief of Air Force.
He's a proud graduate of the USAF Air Command and Staff Course, and the Royal College of Defence Studies.
Davies has always embodied our NZDF values. He's a valuable advocate for:
- enhancing diversity in the NZDF
- promoting innovation, empowerment and leadership
- Schools to Skies
- mentoring juniors to grow within NZDF.