The New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) can advise that the Director of Military Prosecutions has laid charges in the Court Martial of New Zealand against a Linton-based soldier who has continued name suppression.
The accused faces the following 17 charges (some of which are alternative charges):
- Four charges of espionage;
- Two charges of attempted espionage;
- Two charges of possession of an objectionable publication;
- Three charges of accessing a computer system for a dishonest purpose;
- One charge of doing an act likely to prejudice Service discipline or bring discredit on the Service;
- One charge of negligently failing to perform a duty; and
- Four charges of failing to comply with written orders.
No date has yet been set for the hearing of those charges at Court Martial. Media will be advised of the date of the trial in due course.
As the matter is now before the Court, the NZDF can make no further comment.