The below information is intended to provide the latest updates of our involvement in assisting with the international efforts to evacuate New Zealanders and other foreign nationals from Afghanistan.
Information last updated: 31 August 2021
Media releases and updates
- 31 August 2021, New Zealand Army's role in evacuation mission involved 'bravery on both sides'
- 27 August 2021 update after explosions: All NZDF personnel involved in the mission in Afghanistan are safe following explosions near the airport in Kabul.
- 26 August 2021, Hercules completes second flight from Kabul with evacuees
- 24 August 2021, New Zealand Hercules airlifts evacuees from Kabul
- 23 August 2021, Update on Afghanistan evacuations: 23 August
- 22 August 2021, Update on Afghanistan evacuations: 22 August
- 19 August 2021, NZDF personnel deploy to assist with evacuations from Afghanistan
- 16 August 2021, Statement from the Chief of Defence Force regarding situation in Afghanistan
Images can be downloaded from the NZDF Media Dropbox. All photos must be credit NZDF unless otherwise stated.
The New Zealand Defence Force has deployed a Royal New Zealand Air Force C-130H(NZ) Hercules aircraft and approximately 80 personnel. These personnel include aircrew and maintenance staff, a medical team, operational support staff, logistics personnel and force protection personnel, amongst others.
Afghan National Resettlement Eligibility
Information from www.mfat.govt.nz/afghanistanresponse (external link)
Afghan nationals who helped the NZDF or other New Zealand Government agencies in Afghanistan, and their immediate family (partner and dependent children), were able to apply for resettlement in New Zealand. Given the current situation outlined above, applications are now closed. Applications received before 11.59pm 25 August 2021 (New Zealand Time) will continue to be processed. For information about visas and entry into New Zealand visit immigration.govt.nz(external link)
For all other media enquiries, please call Defence Public Affairs on 021 487 980 or firstname.lastname@example.org