20 April, 2021
After the cancellation of Anzac Day services last year due to the Level 4 lockdown, Chief of Defence Force Air Marshal Kevin Short said personnel were looking forward to honouring, reflecting and remembering with the community again.
“Much has changed in the world since the first Anzac Day commemorations, but the commitment our Defence Force has to serving our nation remains unchanged.”
NZDF personnel will be present at more than 300 commemorative events on 25 April here and around the world.
However, there will be fewer personnel involved due to ongoing commitments to Operation Protect, which has more than 1000 NZDF personnel supporting the all-of-Government COVID-19 response at this time.
“There can be no doubt that the ongoing success of New Zealand’s nationwide effort to combat COVID-19, which has drawn on resources from across the government and mobilised the goodwill of the whole community, has saved many lives,” he said.
“Fighting this virus - while it is not combat - is of huge national importance to the security and wellbeing of the country. I am proud that the Defence Force has and continues to, play its part.”
Air Marshal Short will attend the Dawn Service at Pukeahu National War Memorial, and the National Service at 11am.
“My message for the community is that on this Anzac Day, take pride in what your armed forces have done in the past, what they are doing currently, and also in their commitment to continuing this tradition of service and duty into the future.”
Now that the travel bubble with Australia has opened, the Vice Chief of Defence Force, Air Vice-Marshal Tony Davies, will meet with Australian counterparts later this week and take part in the Dawn Service and National Anzac Service at the Australian War Memorial on Sunday.
“This interaction will allow us to reconnect with our Anzac allies and friends in person,” Air Marshal Short said.
Air Vice-Marshal Davies will lay a wreath at the Dawn Service at the Australian War Memorial on Sunday.